Thursday, March 31, 2011

40-13

Rice recipe

Salmon recipe

Ingredients

Ginger, peeled.

Ginger, grated.

Organic Blue Agave Syrup.

Rice Vinegar.

Garlic.

Grated Ginger.

Glaze.

Glaze being added to salmon.

Glazed salmon.

BRAND NEW CAST IRON SKILLET! YAY FOR BIRTHDAY PRESENTS!!

Sizzle!

Basil.

Butter.

Roasted corn.

This is going to be a tough one...

Oh, maybe not.

Open bag, empty into pan, heat. The End.

Busy Stove Top.

Rice.

Rice+salt&pepper+corn

ACTION SHOT! Adding basil.

Mix and you are done.

Stir peas.

Finished meal!


I don't think that I can tell you how good fresh grated ginger smells. I would make this meal every week so that I can smell the fresh ginger. That good, really. Alright, so this is the first venture from the "I ♥ Trader Joe's®" cookbook and it went wonderfully. If every recipe I ever do is as easy and delicious as these ones then my life would so much simpler when it comes to this project! I was in now way exhausted when I finished the meal AND I finished on time! Woot!!! I also received a 10 for this whole meal. He did call it metaphysical perfection and if he had to name a the weakest link it would be the peas. I didn't even "make" the peas so they don't really count. The rice was the most delicious part, it was perfectly seasoned with the salt and pepper and basil; the basil was in now way over powering, and the corn added just the right amount of texture and flavor to make it unique. The salmon was also very delicious. The glaze was very easy and had a real depth of flavor that was a bit unexpected. It started off sweet and then the ginger kicked in with a great compliment of heat and the salsa finished it off with a combination of both of those flavors. The recipe called to cook the salmon in a casserole dish, but since I don't have one I used my brand new birthday present (from the boy's mom and grandma, Thank you!!!) a super spiffy cast iron skillet, and it worked perfectly. "A deceptively light meal with tremendous amounts of substance" that was the exact quote from the boy when I asked him to describe the meal in one phrase. Not too bad if you ask me. 

If you are wondering what makes a meal a 10 we have narrowed down the qualifications:

  1.  He would want the whole meal to be made again in the future.
  2. I could easily make it for guests.
  3. He goes back for seconds.

Alright, I added the last one, but I honestly think that that is a huge factor when it comes to whether it is a 10 or not. So there it is! Until next week my lovelies!

Next week there will most likely be another recipe from this same cookbook so that I can try out a variety of recipes from it, to make sure that this week wasn't a fluke.

2 comments: