Thursday, February 24, 2011

45-8

Mirepoix, butter and herbs.

Potatoes added

Starting to look like soup!

Chicken with herbs.

Cutting up the tortillas.

Toasting up the tortillas.

Looking even more soup like with rice.

The boy helped stir, that is his hand.

Roasted corn and shrimp.

Cooked chicken.

Shredded chicken is that only way to go when you are dealing with the soup, chicken combo.

        
Final meal.



I would just like to state that this was a total free-form soup, I had the general idea but when it can to execution I just kind of winged it. 
and it payed off. My friends you are looking at my second meal that ranks a 10 on the boy's Nom scale. I think that this 10 is more earned too. I mean filet mignon with hand cut fries is an easy 10, but this? This is earned. 

I apologize for not having the obligatory ingredients photo. The whole point of "winging it" is to just figure it out as you go along, so if I knew what would end up in there then I an defeated before I even start. Right? Right.Well I can tell you that there is cumin, chili powder, red chili flakes, seasoned salt, and one packet of onion soup mix in this bad boy. There is also shrimp, roasted corn, rice, flour, butter, hot water, 2 russet potatoes, mirepoix, and 'Herbes de Provence', which are a mixture of dried herbs I bought from a specialty store on Newbury Street last week. The amounts are a mystery, I just mixed them in until they tasted good. The cumin, chili powder and red chili flakes definitely added some heat, but it was a slow burn type of heat that really complimented the sweetness of the roasted corn. The toasted tortillas were really great too, they added a great crunchy texture with out over powering the flavor. We had a ton left over too, and that is after he had two bowls and I had a bowl and a half.

Homemade soup is such an easy thing to make and is so satisfying to eat. This one was rather thick but it wasn't quite a chowder so we nicknamed it stoup (the baby of stew and soup). He told me that I could make this again for him anytime, and I just might. I don't thin any batch of stoup will be like the other. Too much stuff to play with :) Next week... Something different but I don't know what yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment