Thursday, January 27, 2011

49-4

Over all ingredients

Browning the bison.

Cooking the veggies.


Roux.

Bison, veggies, and roux all mixed.


My 'fake meat'.


Yes I cheated with the mashed potatoes.


Before being put in the oven (his).


SALAD!

After being taken out of the oven (still his).

Finished meal.

My leftovers.

His leftovers.

















Alright, I know that last night on Facebook I said that this post was going to be late and possibly on Friday but I was clearly wrong. And that is not a bad thing.  So here is what I got myself into last night, Shepard's Cowboy Pie. I don't feel like I can really call it a "Shepard's Pie" because if bison have any type of shepards they would be cowboys, therefore it is a cowboy pie.

I am very proud of this weeks dinner. I had no real recipe, it all came from my head and, AND I was on time in delivering the nom's. I even had time to do the dishes before I started. Also I had no mishap of any kind. It does garner saying that I was allowed to leave work a little bit early and that means I got home half an hour earlier than usual. So that was a little bit of a leg up in the timing department.

As you can see from the pictures I scrapped the tomatoes and the parmesan for the salad; it just would have been too much. The tomatoes were for me anyway, he really doesn't like them. The parmesan came into play later in the form of garlic parmesan bread. I also totally cheated on the potatoes. Honestly though, mashed potatoes from a box are probably in their best form when on top of shepard's cowboy pie. You don't want one layer to over power the other, you just want them to work with each other and be equally delicious. So to have the super creamy potato top I used potatoes in a box, it worked and I am happy that I didn't waste my time with mashing my own potatoes. The boy even commented that the potatoes were the perfect consistency, so HA!

This meal ranked an 8 on the boy's scale and that makes two meals in a row that are 8's so I think I am doing alright. As for the descriptor phrase he said (and I quote) " it is a meal that anybody who likes food would want to eat". I am pretty sure that that is a good thing. I would agree, It was very yummy and perfect food for the cold snowy night that we had last night.

Next week: Cocoa chili

No comments:

Post a Comment